Road noise

Volvo S80 discussions, questions and solutions to problems
Bob in Tennessee

Road noise

Post by Bob in Tennessee » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:23 am

My S80 is making a noise when driven that sounds like a transission that won't shift. Only the transmission is shifting fine The sound of rising RPM's continue after the transmission shifts and the engine RPM's drop. The sound gets stronger and higher with increased speed, and drops with lower speeds until making a stop, when no sound is apparent. If this was rear wheel drive, I would assume a u-joint, or a differential pinion issue. I have 99k on car.

Any ideas?
Thanks

plunde

Re: Road noise

Post by plunde » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:54 pm

Bob in Tennessee wrote:My S80 is making a noise when driven that sounds like a transission that won't shift. Only the transmission is shifting fine The sound of rising RPM's continue after the transmission shifts and the engine RPM's drop. The sound gets stronger and higher with increased speed, and drops with lower speeds until making a stop, when no sound is apparent. If this was rear wheel drive, I would assume a u-joint, or a differential pinion issue. I have 99k on car.

Any ideas?
Thanks
look at your muffle and pipes they could be in contact with the under carraige

jmc

Post by jmc » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:42 pm

Bob, I also am driving an S80 in TN (Nashville), 100,700 on a 2001 2.9 non turbo

I had a similar sound but it was in conjunction with a failing transmission which was replaced last month.

Consider yourself lucky ! Hope you figure it out.

Indestructible Turtle

Post by Indestructible Turtle » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:07 am

Auto Zone, Advanced Auto or Cragen parts stores usually will perform a battery, alternator and starter test for free, and give you a quote on the parts you need.

It could be a alternator, but doesn't sound like it, you wouldn't be able to drive for to long if the alternator wasn't charging, it would end up quiting will driving.

It sounds like the ignition switch is the problem. They are know to fail and give similar symptoms.

It could also be the battery cable is too close to the crank shaft position sensor causing interference to the signal to the ECM.

The immobilizer antenna ring around the ignition could be faulty and cause the car not to start.

The dealer should know all this info as there are TSB's on some of these problems, and there should be a code in the system if it is related to the immobilizer.

jonathan35

Post by jonathan35 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:58 am

I think that you need to replace the transmission of the car,then the noise would not come any more.