VIBRATION AT IDLE

Volvo S80 discussions, questions and solutions to problems
daveslogan23

VIBRATION AT IDLE

Post by daveslogan23 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:44 pm

2005 volvo S80 vibrates at idle only, replaced upper mount & frt mount below harmonic balance still vibrates?

Indestructible Turtle

Re: VIBRATION AT IDLE

Post by Indestructible Turtle » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:59 am

Rough running can be caused by a number of different things. I have a problem on a 3 litre straight-six Volvo 960 that I have bought (UK). Sometimes it just won't start and I give up trying. Other times it fires and runs rough for a couple of minutes - no amount of pumping the gas pedal will cause the engine to pick up speed. After a couple of minutes the fault clears and it runs perfectly. No spluttering or hesitation and restarts at the turn of the key ... until the engine becomes cold again.

I have 2 similar cars and I've been swapping bits from one to the other to try and cure the fault. It isn't the plugs, ignition/coil packs,air filter, ignition module or air idle valve. Maybe it is the fuel relay which is buried somewhere deep in the centre console and a real pain to remove .. but, the car runs sweet as a nut when warm, so I guess a faulty relay would be faulty at all speeds... Maybe it isn't the relay after all.

I've cleaned out the air idle valve and butterfly valve, which has made no difference.

Next step is to change the fuel filter which is located midway underneath the car. Failing that, I guess the fuel pump may need looking at - and there's a fuel pump mounted on the tank with another fuel pump beneath the car.

Haryer

VIBRATION AT IDLE

Post by Haryer » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:35 am

I called a 25 yr master Volvo mechanic friend of a friend who walked me through resetting the idle to the correct range.
Its now idling at 700 rpm, but still rough.